Certificates and Diplomas Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes diplomas and certificates earned at the various forms of Longwood University.
- Creation: 1885 - 2000
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on access or use. Some certificates are fragile or torn and should be handled with care.
Biographical / Historical
In 1839, the Legislature of Virginia incorporated the Farmville Female Seminary; which existed as a private institution under several other names including Farmville Female College and Farmville College until 1884. In 1884, the State of Virginia passed legislation to open the state's first Normal School. The citizens of Farmville offered the Female College buildings for this new institution. This partnership led to the opening of the first state run institution of higher learning for women in Virginia, named State Female Normal School. The school underwent several names changes including State Normal School for Women in Farmville, State Teachers College at Farmville, Longwood College and then finally in 2002, the school was formally renamed Longwood University. After becoming the State Female Normal School the institution specifically focused on training students to become teachers in the state’s new public school system. Then, in 1914, under the new name State Normal School for Women the college could officially issue full degrees for the first time. By the time the name was changed in 1949 to Longwood College, the emphasis was still on teacher training, but more liberal arts options were available to students. These certificates and diplomas represent the varying types of degrees and certificates students earned including licentiates of teaching and master’s degrees.
1.75 Linear Feet (1 Flat Box)
Language of Materials
This is an artificial collection compiled by Greenwood Library archivists.
- Jamie Krogh
- Language of description
- Script of description